Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Practicing What I Preach



God has a sick sense of humor.  Last week I preached a sermon based on Luke 9:51-62 in which Jesus says: "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head."  In that sermon I said:

 “Life on the road; the spiritual pilgrimage or nomadic existence, requires a kind of un-tethered’ existence. That’s how we live into the future to which Jesus is leading and God has in mind; by letting go.” 

Two days later I flew to Chicago for a meeting at the ELCA Churchwide headquarters. This was going to be quick trip. Fly to Chicago on Tuesday and fly back to KC on Wednesday in time for Lisa and I to celebrate our 26thwedding anniversary.

By the time I arrived at O’Hare International on Wednesday for the return trip, my flight had already been delayed once and the gate changed 3 times.  3 more delays and 10 more gate changes later, I had long given up any hope of celebrating our anniversary together.  However, I wasn’t ready for what happened next.

 At 10:30pm, the attendant at the counter made the announcement: “Ladies and gentlemen, your flight has been cancelled.” There was rough weather making its way through Chicago and the surrounding vicinity that basically shut down the whole airport. That meant I was one of several thousand people looking for a place to lay my head that night. Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but this guy couldn’t find a hotel vacancy anywhere in the area. On top of that, I wasn’t having any luck getting a flight out the next day either. Very funny, God!

 Long story short, I was fortunate enough to find a hotel room on Michigan Avenue and some convoluted flight arrangements on another airline that took me through Charlotte the next day.  But out of the chaos of those days I received a tremendous gift. Staying on Michigan Avenue gave me the opportunity to have a great run along the shores of Lake Michigan. You see, I grew up playing on the shores of Lake Michigan. Every time I see those waters, my spirit is renewed. It’s an experience that’s almost baptismal in nature.
 
Wind Point Lighthouse
In my office hangs a photo of the Wind Point Lighthouse in Racine, Wisconsin. This lighthouse was an ever-present beacon growing up. I loved the sweep of light it made across the night sky. That photo serves as a reminder that no matter how turbulent or chaotic the waters of life can get, we follow Jesus, the light of the world, who guides us along the way.  

Maybe God’s sense of humor isn’t so sick after all.
Pastor Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment