Monday, July 7, 2014

Freud and the Pharisees



So yesterday I preached on Matthew 9:9-26. If you happened to catch it, awesome, if not, DL our App HCLConnect or hit up our website for a listen- it’s under “Take Heart”.

Anyway, so within the reading, there is a great line that Jesus uses to scorn the Pharisees who are asking Jesus’ disciples why he has chosen to eat with so many ‘less than acceptable’ people. Jesus jumps in, saying:

“Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have come to call not the righteous but sinners.”

That’s Matthew 9:12-13 and it’s an awesome line, right? Jesus gets to the heart of the matter with these religious elitists- I’m after something different than what you think God is after. 

Now, frequently, when I’m looking for the real force of a verse like this, one with such a dramatic statement, I’ll look at the Greek or at various other English versions. When I did that, I found the Message had a great way of summing up that last line:
         
              “I have come to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders.”

I think this line sums it up beautifully- because many of us may not really understand the nuances and scope of all the rules and regulations that must have been upheld to be deemed a righteous person. We don’t really understand everything that was required, and so we lose a little bit when we simply read ‘the righteous’. But language like ‘insider’ or ‘outsider’… that we can understand. We can probably understand it on a deep level.

For years in middle school I was cast out of all sorts of social circles- I played soccer, but I played the flute, so each didn’t include me because of the other. A kid in 7th grade decided that he and his buddies would make my life a nightmare- and for the most part succeeded for the majority of that year. Social pariah or nerd or loser or whatever name you prefer, I understood the insider/outsider language. 

Fortunately for me, I had a group that considered me an insider- the church. I found inclusion not only from God, but from a family of kids and adults that would support me when I was cast out. My hope within that context was that everyone that felt cast out would be able to find a home and family like the one I found in my community of faith. But I knew that wasn’t the case for so many people. 

And yet, especially in the church, the lure of being an insider comes in subtle and powerful ways, even when I preach. Here’s what I mean- in the course of preparing my slides for my sermon, one particular slide used these two versions of verse 13. I typed each version in the slide along with an additional explanation. I reviewed the slides several times, and sent it off for the Sunday slides.

Now, imagine my surprise at the 8am service on Sunday, when I got to this particular slide, looked up at the screen, and read the line:

            “I have come to invite insiders, not coddle outsiders.”

Take a second, read it again, because I couldn’t believe I had typed that. Not just typed it, but reviewed it, looked at it again and again, and it didn’t even register on my radar.
Do you see what I did? Unintentionally or subconsciously, I inverted what Jesus said.
This little Freudian slip is such a typical example of the Pharisees’ desire for their religion, and indeed, for many people today with religion. We on the inside want to be confirmed, we don’t care about those outside.

If we’re on the inside, we want Christ to invite us to the table, and forget everyone else. Who needs them? We’ve gotten into the inner circle and we want to stay here. This little grammatical slip is responsible for so much pain and trouble in our world today. It is so much easier to live in an insider invitation world… if you happen to find yourself on the inside.

But just because it is easier, or seems to happen even without us knowing, doesn’t mean we can allow Jesus’ words to become inverted like this. We must remember that Jesus invites the outcast to the table, and calls us to step outside of our little inner circles, wherever they happen to be, and find those who have been left out, cast out, or told to simply get out.
I hope that the slip was merely accidental, I did not knowingly put it in there. And yet, if I do that with words on a screen, how much more do I do it with my actions and speech? How much do we all? This week, watch out- it’s slippery out there.
Pastor Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment